Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pull-ups? GoodNites? Diapers?

Ok, I need some potty training advice. Kaden still doesn't stay dry at night, which is fine. I don't know how to teach him to, but some nights he's dry, and some nights he's not. We haven't found any consistency in what helps him stay dry.

So, what should I use at night so we don't have to change the sheets every morning? Pull-ups don't cut it. They leak all over the place. I think they just can't hold enough. He may as well just wear underwear and not waste the pull-up. GoodNites would probably do the trick, and he could get them back on by himself, but they don't make them small enough. Well, at least not that I've found. They're all 38+ lbs, and Kaden isn't there yet. The leg holes are HUGE, and I think it would still leak just because of how big they are and how skinny Kaden's legs are. So, we've put him in diapers every night. While they do keep the bed dry, he can't get a diaper on by himself. I want him to be able to be independent and know he can go potty by himself, but I can't find anything that works for night time. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Chris said...

We find that if we don't allow Landon to drink anything for about an hour before bedtime he doesn't have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You could try scaling back on the liquids in the evening and maybe that would help the leaks...though maybe you already do that...Good luck!!!

Ashley said...

This is the dreaded "will-this-ever-end" in-between stage of potty-training. Diapers aren't "big-boy" enough, pull-ups don't hold enough and Good Nites are too big. Honey--I stayed with the diapers because I had the same issues. I know, they don't promote independence but I guess you have to decide what matters most to you!

mytee sooperox said...

Jonny is a bedwetter. Nuff said. We've been putting him in the White Cloud Pull-ups at night for a couple of years now. We rarely have them leak, but I think that is due mostly to the fact that we don't let him drink anything after a certain time and we have mandatory potty break before bed.

Bedwetting is something kids grow out of. Sometimes they are young, sometimes older. I have a history of bedwetting in my family, and so does Dave, so I'm not planning on Jonny stopping anytime soon.

I don't like washing wet sheets, but there are other things I dislike more. I watched my parents deal with bedwetting and didn't like the way they handled it. I think they stressed out too much about something that they couldn't really control. I don't think there is a real way to teach kids not to wet the bed, but there are tricks to dealing with it, and then you have to wait for them to figure it out. That's parenting in a nutshell.