Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Potty Training Advice

Ok mom's that have done the potty training thing, I need your help! Some of you witnessed on Sunday Kaden's great desire to use the potty. Yeah, like every five minutes he's says "I need go potty." There was a time many, many months ago that he did actually go peepee on the potty, and has never done it since. The past week or so he has just been so excited about sitting on the potty, but he doesn't do anything. He starts to play with the toilet paper, or wants to flush, or whatever. Well, last night he got out of bed to tell me "I need go potty, mommy" and he was kinda doing a dance. So, I took him in and he did nothing except play. I changed his diaper, put him back in bed and not more than 2 minutes later, he pooped.

So, a few questions. How do I get him to stay on the potty long enough to do something? Also, at what point to I discourage his constant desire to go potty? I don't want to discourage it, but I also can't spend all my time with him in the bathroom. Is he ready for potty training? I'm so clueless on this stuff!!!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Every child is different. But I think if you want him to stop playing, move everything away from the toilet, then you can just let him sit as long as he needs to.

I had to do something to motivate me to help Landon, so we bought training pants (like underpants with a little padding). I found them online, because I couldn't find them at the stores. Yes he did have e\several accidents but those accidents motivated me to put him on the potty every hour, so he would get used to going. In the end it was just Landon deciding that he wanted to stay dry all the time.

Good Luck and Happy Trainin!!!!

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
my rebel took over said...

This is one of those things that all kids are different, so what works for one may not work for another, ya know? Abby woke up one day, decided to use the toilet and has been trained ever since. Grace took months and she still has accidents now and again.

If he's telling you he needs to go and then pooping a while later, I'd say he's either ready, or almost ready. He knows the feeling before it happens. That's a huge step in the right direction.

A suggestion for keeping him on the potty...If he likes books, read to him. We kept some of the girls favorite books in the bathroom for a while and deemed them bathroom only books. They'd sit there forever if I read to them.

Good luck! Potty training is great birth control!!!

Jeana said...

My advice... DON'T GIVE UP! The day will come. My boy would sit on the toilet for an hour (if I let him) and not do anything. Ten minutes after I would give up and make him get off, he would go in his pull-up. For getting your boy to stay on, the book idea is a great one. Also, offer him an award if he actually GOES in the potty. Don't worry, one day it will all "click"!

Rachel said...

One other thing: if he isn't even peeing in the toilet yet, try letting some water run over him. You know how you feel when your hand goes under the water when you've gotta go? For both of our kids it has worked like a charm! That plus having them sit and try regularly, as well. There are also some pull ups that I've seen advertised which are supposed to get cool when they get wet...I haven't tried them as the water trick worked so well but it may be worth a try. For pooping (at least for Caelen), I basically would give him an extra reward for going both pee and poo at the same time. It only took a couple times for my sugar addict to clue in. But don't forget, sometimes potty training can seriously take years. Hang in there, it really is worth it! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

mytee sooperox said...

I echo that each kid is different and that it can take a long time and they may regress for whatever reason later on. BUT DON'T GIVE UP! The book idea is also great for keeping him on the potty; try singing songs as well. Make it fun for him. BTW, the "cool" feeling Pull-Ups don't work. The best thing is just keep him in training underwear with a cloth diaper cover when you are in the house and Pull-Ups when you go out.

My biggest advice is this:
Don't get mad/frustrated and if you do don't let it show. This is something YOU cannot control. It's his body and he has to figure it out on his own. Don't get mad over the accidents but overly praise him for when he does go. Praise him for even wanting to sit on the potty. Some kids are scared of it!

Realize that it will happen some day and be happy when it does. Jonny pooped in his underwear once a day for over a year. It used to make me so mad but there was nothing I could do really, so why get mad. I just stuck him in the shower, rinsed out his underwear (it really helped having done cloth diapers for that), and moved on. One day he figured it out. Now, he'll pee in his pants every once in a while and when he does, I just have him change and say "Oh well!"

Now that I've written a novel--GOOD LUCK! I'm cheering for you!