Monday, May 4, 2009

Goal Accomplished

Last year, I set a goal to play every hymn in the LDS hymn book. Yes, every single one. All 341 of them. I had wanted to do it by the end of 2008, but that didn't happen. When I was sick at the beginning of this pregnancy, the piano was not really where I wanted to be sitting, so I didn't get done by the deadline. Yesterday I finally finished. Every single song. Including the men's songs. I definitely can't play them all for people to sing along with, but I've at least played them all.

I found I really like the men's version of "Come, Come Ye Saints" (#326). It just sounds beautiful. I also found that "The Wintry Day, Descending to Its Close" (#37) is far from my favorite hymn.

Now, one question for all you musicians. Why are SO MANY of the men's songs written in A-flat? Is it easier for them to sing in that key? It's really not my favorite. And on top of that, they're written in tenor clef. Not my favorite either, but I started to get used to it.

So, should the Children's Songbook be the next goal? I REALLY don't know most of those songs! I think I could get through it quicker than the hymn book...maybe?

p.s. Graduation pictures/stories coming soon!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Congrats on getting through the hymn book. I'm impressed. Good luck on your next goal.

Alice said...

That's an awesome accomplishment... the Children's Songbook at least doesn't have as many songs in it! :)