I'm calling on all you moms who have been through potty training! I need your help! This morning, I thought we were going to have a huge milestone for Kaden pooping on the potty. He told me he needed to poop, so he sat on the potty. He wouldn't even pee. He probably would have sat there all day doing nothing if I let him, but we had to get going. I got him off the potty, and knew he really needed to go. I asked him if he wanted to go on the potty, and he said, "No, I need my diaper." So, I put a diaper on and he immediately pooped.
I know it's normal for kids to not want to poop on the potty, but how long should I let this go on? He knows he needs to poop, but just won't do it on the potty. Is there anything I can do to encourage it? He didn't want treats, toys, or anything this morning. Nothing was worth pooping in the potty...not even the big tootsie roll he's been asking for for weeks!
6 comments:
He can't be bribed? Wow! That's a hard one! We bribed Landon with the "Once upon a Potty" movie. "When you poop in the potty, you get to watch the potty song." He loved it. He was pooping in the potty several months before he was fully potty trained. But if Kaden won't be bribed.....my sister had her boy teach all his stuffed animals to sit and "go potty" you could try that?
I really shouldn't put in my two cents here, considering that Abby was 3 years, 3 months when she was trained, and Grace was 3 and half.
All I can tell you is that for both my girls, pushing them in ANY way backfired. Grace was plugging along with my encouragement and stickers, etc...from about a month before their 3rd bday, I thought she was going to do it! But I pushed her too much and she got frustrated and backtracked big time.
Abby wouldn't even consider using the potty, especially pooping, no matter what I tried until she woke up one morning and decided for herself. (This is so true to Abby's personality though, I should have known that's how it would happen) This also completely stopped Grace's training. She compares herself to Abby alot. We were frustrated and tried having her run around naked along with some other suggestions we wish we'd ignored. We felt pressured from family and others and passed that pressure onto her. So we put her back in diapers and completely (I really mean completely. We never even suggested she use the potty) backed off until she decided to do it herself and it went so much quicker and smoother when she did a few months later.
I know people that had their kids trained before mine, so they have that going for them, but for most of them, it was a battle and extremely frustrating. Once we backed off, it wasn't really bad at all, other than wishing they'd get on board!
I wish you luck! During training I said that I don't know how anyone has another child after they've potty trained.
I'm so glad I only have one more to potty train, that's the worst part of parenting! Carter was a nightmare with the pooping. We tried pushing him and that just made it worse! We tried making him clean himself, he just stood in the shower naked for an hour. In the end, it all came down to HIM wanting to do it. Sorry, patience is the very best thing you can do. Let him poop where he will, otherwise he may start to hold it in, then you have a whole new set of problems. Best of luck to you!
I agree that you really can't push them. My boy was 3 1/2 before he was trained. He would sit on the potty forever if I let him and not do anything. Once I had a pull-up on him he would go. I finally got to the point where I stopped trying. I would talk about it, but not push it or make him sit on the potty. One day he finally just decided that he was ready to go in the toilet.
So if Kaden understands everything about going in the potty, I would give it a break. He'll do it when he's ready! Too bad that isn't always on our time schedule or what we have planned. Good luck!
Jeana's right, along with whoever else she's agreeing with - you can't push Kaden overtly. That is more likely to move you backward, not forward.
But there are more subtle things you can do. This one is kind of a tough one, but one we'd read about... let your child use their diaper, just as they are accustomed to do and make no mention beforehand of the toilet whatsoever, however do not immediately change their diaper.
If you let Kaden marinate in the aftermath a bit longer than normal, then what is VERY normal will occur to him - sitting in crap stinks! (I'm serious, it does.)
~Chad & Christine
Hey, I know I'm a little late jumping in, but ditto to what's already been said, don't push him! He will eventually do it, he's not going to go to kindergarten still in diapers. When I was with Eddie and Ari, Eddie was the same way. He had peeing in the potty down pat, and would even poop in the bathroom with the door closed... just not in the potty, in his diaper. It was a huge hurdle. (When he did finally do it, Phil and Carrie threw a huge party, even ordering a professional cake with the words 'happy poopie party Eddie' on it.)
Another freind of mine just went through the exact same thing. Her daughter is very intelligent, reading early, etc... she was wearing underwear, and had been for several months, and still made her mom change her into a diaper or pull up when she needed to poop. Her mom was horrified, it was weird to have her daughter demanding in full sentences to have a diaper put on so she could poop. But eventually she did it, when she was ready, and once the big milestone was reached, the fuss was over, it was suddenly no big deal anymore. It'll happen!
Good luck!
Heidi
Post a Comment