Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Mr. Magorium

We went to see Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (starring Dustin Hoffman and Natalie Portman) on Saturday. I really didn't expect a lot of this movie, since I had only seen 1 preview for it and it just looked weird. However, Jaron really wanted to see it (along with a lot of other movies...we decided we should see this one on the big screen with the special effects and all) so we went.

So, the verdict: It was really good! Imagine your favorite toy store. Muliply that by 3. Then, make all the toys come alive! Then add an old happy guy playing with all the kids and giving a few motivational speeches, and viola...you have this movie.

Natalie Portman really isn't my favorite, but Dustin Hoffman did an excellent job of playing an old crazy-seeming, magical guy. I wouldn't put it on my "fantastic" list (that's usually reserved for great chick-flicks), but it was a really fun, feel good (in a somewhat cheesy way) movie.

Now, if only the theater hadn't charged us $115 for our popcorn, it would have been a great experience at the movies!

2 comments:

Chari said...

That sounds like a really fun movie. I was thinking of taking the kids over the Christmas break. Is it a good kid movie? What's the deal with the popcorn???

Cindy said...

I think your kids would love it (of course, there's no video games in it, just the good 'ole classic toys).

The popcorn...funny. This was our first time at this theater (it's a new one here in town). We got the popcorn, Jaron signed the receipt, and we were off! Well, Jaron glanced down at the receipt and it showed $115. Umm, yeah, the popcorn wasn't THAT good. So, we went back to the counter and they couldn't figure it out, but said they would by the end of the movie. So we go into the theater and before the movie starts, the manager comes and gives us the difference in cash. I guess the guy charged us for 20 popcorns, not just 1 (we're still trying to figure out how you hit 2-0 instead of 1, but whatever). So yeah, we paid $115 for popcorn.