Monday, January 11, 2010

Our Sunbeam

Kaden started Sunbeams!

He actually went to part of Primary at my brothers ward last week. He didn't want to go at first, but he loved it. All week he's talked about the game they played where "the music gets louder when you get close to the picture, then it gets softer when you get far away." This was the motivation to get him to be excited about going to Sunbeams all week (well, that and the special underwear).

Well, we got there and he didn't want to stay. Partly, I'm sure, was that there wasn't enough seats in the first row, so the teachers said he could sit in the row behind. But, no one went to sit with him. I told him I'd stand in the back until they sang the first song. He wanted me to stay with him. Finally, another adult (I think one of the assistant teachers...?) came to sit with him. He still didn't want to stay there. Then, the teacher turned around and gave him a Pez. I think life was ok after that.

On the way home, I asked how Sunbeams was. His response was, "They just didn't play any games at all! We just had to raise our hand and pick up a paper and put it on the board. That's it!" So, despite the disappointment, he still said he enjoyed it. I guess our chorister just isn't as cool as the one in my brothers ward. I hope it will get better.

On a happy note, I asked what songs they sang. He said they sang "Long ago in a beautiful place" then he couldn't remember any of the words, but he really wanted to learn the song. I found it online (I guess it's the primary theme song this year...?) so we can learn it. He's really excited about that!

I managed to hold back the tears. I just can't believe my little guy is big enough to be in primary. He's really not big enough for that.

3 comments:

Chari said...

I can't believe he's that grown up! So much fun! He'll get into more and you'll just have to wave from the chapel as he goes off on his own. My kids don't even tell me bye, they just leave.

mytee sooperox said...

That song, "I know that My Savior Loves me" was one of the alternate songs in our Primary Program last year. It is beautiful! The chorus makes me cry every time. I'm glad the kids get to sing it again.

Hurray for Kaden making it through Sunbeams! It's a big adjustment, but Sunbeams is a lot of fun, too.

Sara Ann said...

Yay! I am glad you found me! I have been meaning to contact you, we HAVE to get internet soon, it is my life line with the world! I am glad to see you are good:)