Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Little Tree

Bob Ross would be proud.  Oh wait, we didn't paint a happy little tree, we planted a real one.  It's still a happy little tree, though.  We just need a happy little stream going by it and we're set!

We decided we needed some shade in the backyard, so Jaron got ambitious and planted an oak tree.  It won't give much shade for a few years, but we had to start somewhere!

Jaron spent several hours digging a hole.  There used to be a make-shift fire pit there, so we thought it would be a good spot, since there was already the start of a hole.  Unfortunately, Jaron hit a layer of bricks that had to be dug out.  Under the bricks, the ground was super packed.  He finally got it deep enough for the tree.

Kaylee was a great helper.  She made sure daddy had enough water to drink.  Not really.  She drank it all.

She did help water it.

And made sure she took breaks in the shade.  It's tough work helping daddy!

And finally done!

Now hopefully we won't kill it and someday it will provide shade in our backyard!

4 comments:

my rebel took over said...

I love that you quoted Bob Ross. What is it about that guy? And why did we all sit there on more than one occation and watch him paint landscapes? You know you did it!

my rebel took over said...

Ok, so where is this tree in relation to your garden? I'm trying to get the lay of the land here! And while you're at it, those of us on the east coast who won't be visiting until we win the lottery wouldn't mind a virtual tour of your new house! (You know I'm nosey!)

Cindy said...

If I wasn't watching Smurfs at my grandparents, I was watching Bob Ross. Weird kid.

Chari said...

well done, that's more than we have ever done with any of our yards. Sad huh? I can't wait to see it someday. I have a feeling that tree will be giving off shade by then.